Do you want a yard sign? Click here. We’ll bring one to you.
Earlier this year, at the historic Masonic Auditorium, Mayor Mike Summers officially declared his candidacy for Mayor of Lakewood. The Mayor announced his continued focus on economic development, financial strength, and safety for all residents. Now we need to stand together to continue the leadership that’s improving Lakewood every day. This campaign is underway and we’re having a conversation with supporters like you. Consider volunteering with Mike, join us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter. Would you like a yard sign? Click here; we’ll bring one to you. Want to add your name to our growing personal and public endorsement list? Send your name and address to firstname.lastname@example.org. With your help, we can shape the path to victory.
During the past five years, Lakewood has become a desired destination for Millennials and empty-nesters alike — and everyone in between. Property owners have spent $10 million in each of the past two years fixing up their homes and buildings.
There’s been more than $100 million in commercial development investments since 2011 — that doesn’t even include the schools construction.
The city has significantly improved infrastructure, including parks, streets, bike infrastructure and sidewalks. Lakewood is in the best financial shape we’ve been in years, as measured by our robust financial reserves. The public safety forces remains solid, focused, well led and well equipped.
Was this all by accident or the strategic design of solid leadership?
“I stand behind my record, knowing confidently that Lakewood is a better place than it was before I took office,” said Mayor Michael Summers, who recently announced that he’s running for a second term as Lakewood’s mayor. “However, there is more good work to be done.”
During the past five years, Mayor Summers focused on the following items:
- Customer-driven governing: The city has a customer-focused work culture that believes in continuous improvement.
- Doing more with less: The city has invested in our processes and leveraged technology to deliver more service with fewer resources.
- Commercial development: The city features more vibrant commercial corridors providing local entertainment options and amenities to support everyday life and lifestyles.
- Housing: The Summers administration has focused relentlessly on housing and its maintenance and improvement.
- Public safety: Under Summers’ leadership, the city has improved enforcement strategies — from an increase in our safety forces to additional training, and to the installation of video cameras at our parks.
- Living within our means: The city has made focused and disciplined cost reductions without increasing taxes.
- Beautifying the city: Lakewood has invested thoughtfully to add to its attractiveness, protect our health and provide economic stability long into the future.
- Faced the realities of our challenges: Summers has addressed challenges, from legal threats to state budget cuts to the housing crisis, in a measured and effective manner. Front and center is his leadership responding to the threat against Lakewood Hospital’s viability and the vitality of our downtown district caused by deteriorating inpatient volumes.
- Improved communication: Summers has redoubled efforts to communicate to our citizens effectively in an increasingly fragmented world of print, broadcast and electronic formats.
“If given the opportunity to continue to serve as mayor of this great city of Lakewood, I would continue to focus on these strengths,” said Summers. “My strongest case for re-election is that I have governed well. I have poured my heart and soul into my responsibilities as mayor. I am not doing this because I am a career politician or to find my next job in politics.”
“I am doing this because Lakewood is my home, my children’s home, and my passion.”